Hard Personal Injury

by Brian

I was in a roll over car accident in November. I was the passenger in the car (passenger seat) and sustained compression fractures to the thoracic spine and pulmonary contusions. I was in a back brace for 4 months and out of work for 4 months. I have had problems with a constant tingling feeling in my legs, and developed PTSD. I am now on anti-depressants and sleep medication. I also have a back specialist that I meet with once a week to help get myself back to being normal, since I have lost 30+ lbs and any strength I once had.

My medical bills total around 40-50 grand. The driver of the vehicle (one car accident) consumes all comparative negligence, seeing as I was buckled in and not driving. However, he did not have adequate insurance, and I am having to file a UIM claim. My UIM coverage is $250,000. Any suggestions on what my minimum should be that I would even consider settling for?

Comments for Hard Personal Injury

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 14, 2011
UIM Hard Injury
by: ClaimsGirl

I recommend you hire an attorney. An attorney most definitely will be able to get you the full amount of your UIM policy. It shouldn't affect your premium. You already pay for that policy, so you have a right to it. Also, it can only be used if you are not at fault for the accident.

May 13, 2011
by: mat

Hey Brian,
I'm really to sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you feel better. I am not a lawyer so please don't take this as legal advice.

The most difficult question is always how much should one settle for. There are a lot of factors that go in getting an exact value. Your medical expenses, the level of therapy you receive, the amount of time to recover. I talk about all the different things on my personal injury settlements calculator page.

If you follow the calculator, you will get most likely a settlement over a $100,000 (since you suffered serious injuries).

My suggestion would be to see how much your insurance company offers first. If you are satisfied with it, you can accept it. If you are still curious about if you can get more money, then you should really consult a personal injury lawyer.

People who suffer a hard injuries you should always talk with a personal injury lawyer. This is because each hard injury is different. There are so many factors involved in determining your insurance settlement that simply cannot be known without sitting down with a lawyer.

Consulting with a personal injury lawyer is NOT hiring one. You can discuss your case without paying anything to the lawyer. Lawyers only get paid if you hire them and receive a settlement. Not if you simply want more information about your case.

Once you receive an offer for the insurance company, just get in touch with a lawyer and get their feedback.

Talk about how much money you are currently getting and see if you can get more. Make sure you're not being given a low settlement. If after discussing your case you think the lawyer really won't help you get more money, simply don't hire them. You didn't have to pay for the consultation anyway. You don't lose any money and don't have to wonder if your losing thousands of dollars.

Hope everything turns out well for you. Please keep me informed. Best of luck.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Personal Injury Settlement Amount Stories.